Thursday, August 2, 2012

Letting Go Of Bachelor Life

A couple of 14-carat gold wedding rings. Pictu...
A couple of 14-carat gold wedding rings. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In my experience, people totally underestimate marriage. It's pretty much the same as two totally different species coming together and expecting to develop an instant bond. In reality, it doesn't just happen! It is important to remember that, especially if you have not lived together first, two personalities are coming together and trying to create a harmonious family. I believe that marriage is a totally new beginning and it is necessary for both the wife and the husband to sacrifice some aspects of their former bachelor life including their routines and habits. It's about accommodating the other person and helping them to fit into your life and vice versa.

I see my siblings, workmates and friends getting into marriage problems and wondering where it went wrong, but to me it is clear that neither of them was willing to bend. I look at my parents and see how they have been together for almost 40 years – they coexist, revolving around each other as if in each other's orbit. If they ever fight they don't do it in front of me and my siblings. They are my role models.

As men, we are not really expected to talk about our emotions and I think that is one of the problems. I asked my Dad what the secret was and he gave me some valuable advice. The first thing he told me is that men must realise that despite what society says – we are NOT the dominant ones. He told me men have to support their wives and take their fair share of all duties because especially now, women are taking more financial responsibility in the home and men are no longer the breadwinners. He also advocates mutual respect and starting afresh. He says when my Mom and him argue (they do after all!) they agree to drop it when resolved. Once you have forgiven each other there is no going back and casting it up during the next disagreement.

However, the most important advice he gave me was : 'let go of your bachelor life'. The moment you find the woman you will marry, that is when your bachelor life ends. There is no longer the same freedom because it becomes necessary to plan outings and social engagements in advance. Do not be resentful, remember that your wife will be making exactly the same sacrifices.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment